Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Love Struck" Pillows





I live in an apartment (a product of the husband being in grad school) and the Valentines decor is somewhat lacking.  The husband isn't too fond of themed decor.  I'm slowly converting him.  Very slowly. So I thought these pillows were a nice, not too over the top, compromise.

Plus, I finished them rather quickly which is always a huge plus in my book.

Materials:
-Fiber Fill (whatever kind you liked best)
-1/2 yard of your choice of fabric for the pillows (I used duck canvas)
-black fabric paint
-paint brush
-freezer paper
-Picture of you and your love (you could also use clip-art)
-Cupid print out (I found mine online for free)
-Cardboard square (small)

*I realized about half way through how easy this would be if I only had a Silhouette.  Oh how I want one of you.  I'm sure you could find a cupid in their online store or import one of your own.  But it is still a quick project even without, so lets move forward.  

Construction:

1.  Cut.  Cut fabric into 4 squares 13 x 13.

2.  Sew.  Take two pieces of fabric.  With right sides together, sew around all four edges with a 3/8 inch seam leaving about a 5" gap along one edge for stuffing.  Repeat for other two squares.  


3.  Trace.  Take your images and tape to cutting board.  Place freezer paper over the top of image shiny side down.  Trace with an exacto knife to cut image out on freezer paper.  You will end up saving the outline not the actually cut out image, so don't throw away the scraps (I used Made's directions for the freezer paper stencil.  Go here if you need more help).  Repeat with second image.  


**You want to keep everything on the left side of the photo...you do not need the piece on the right.  

4.  Iron.  Place your freezer paper stencil onto your canvas exactly where you want your image to show up.  Iron down stencil.  Be sure to get the edges really well so that paint doesn't seep through to unwanted areas.


5.  Paint.  Take a small piece of cardboard and stuff through hole.  Using your brush, paint a few coats over the freezer paper directly onto the canvas. 


**Stain remover takes away any unwanted paint from canvas that may or may not have gotten there during painting.  Or so i've heard.  


6.  Let dry and seal with iron. 

7.  Stuff.  Fill pillow with fiber fill or stuffing of your choice.

8.  Hand sew pillow closed.  I used a whip stitch to close off the pillow.  I started the knot inside the seam and then did some close together stitching around the seam to close the gap. 





Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, your silhoutte pillow! CA-UTE!! fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea; I don't think I've ever seen something like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! And great tutorial for those of us who WISHED that we had a Silhoutte... but sadly do not!

    When did you start sewing? I'm a newbie... got any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the silhouette couple is really you and Rob. So cute...and so crafty. Keep it up, Ellie! I love seeing all your tutorials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so fun and adorable! I love them. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so fantastic! Great job! I love that you actually used a pic of you and your husband for the silhouette - so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I.Love.This!!! I just can't tell you how much I love this! So cute - the 2 pillows! Just fun!

    Hope you'll drop by this weekend and share this at Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these are absolutely adorable! Stylish and very subtle! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! These are classy and the other comments are right, subtle. I'm sure your husband will love them :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are such cute pillows. I'm looking forward to someday making them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I featured it today on Today's Top 20! I'd love for you to stop by!

    Amanda
    www.todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is super cute and a great idea! If you have not been by yet, I would love for you to come link up! Every month the best link gets prizes!

    http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/strut-your-stuff-for-february-round-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so freaking cool!! I love how personal it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great!!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!! Be sure to add a button to your post or sidebar so that you are not deemed ineligible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute. Very classic look. I think i am going to make a set for my newlywed brother and his bride.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I realize this probably is a stupid question, however, where do you get freezer paper? Grocery store? Then does it stick when you iron it down. I love this idea and saving it for my son's first love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some are of very low quality as synthetic fibers are used and polyester is used making them lighter in weight but these are not comfortable and do not come under the tag of the best pillows. best pillows india

    ReplyDelete