Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blog Swap with Nap Time Crafters

I'm so happy to be blog swapping with Amy!  When you are done here, be sure to hop over and check out my tutorial at Nap Time Crafters!  Her tutorial is too cute to keep you from reading it any longer- so take it away Amy!

------------------------------------------

I'm Amy and I blog over at Nap Time Crafters. Hurry on over- auditions for American Crafter started yesterday! I fell in LOVE with Homestitched as soon as I stumbled across it- so many darling little girl outfits!
Since I have a little girl too I thought I'd share one of the latest additions to the spring wardrobe with all of you:)

I fell in love with the Florbella Dress from crewcuts

But it's $46, which is a bit steep for a play dress. And I'm really loving the stripes I used in my version!



The perfect little dress for playing around!



Ready to make your own???
Materials:
  • Old Tee: I used a small to make a 12-18 mos. size and it work for smaller sizes too. For much bigger I'd get a bigger tee
  • Elastic
  • Sewing Supplies
1. Lay a dress that fits well on top of the tee and trim it down- you can make it wider for a more gathered look (that was the full width of my tee). Save the scraps for later

2.  If your neck hole seems too big you can take it in at the shoulders. With right sides together sew up the side seams. 

 3. Use the sleeves you cut off to make your new, smaller sleeves. Keep the original hem. With right sides together sew up the side seam.

 4. Right sides together attach the sleeves to the dress

 You could be done now if you want:)

 5. Use a scrap from the bottom to make a casing for the elastic. Just cut it a bit wider than the elastic and sew it to the inside of the dress along the top and bottom edge. Go all the way around, but leave an opening at the side seam. Thread the elastic through and secure the ends together.

6. Fold the bottom edge over twice and hem.

7. Add a little flower to the top of the dress. I made mine by cutting 3 small triangles and 3 large. I gathered the bottom edges, layered them and sewed it straight to the shirt.

 8. Sew little ribbon ties to each side to create the drawstring look- since knits don't fray I just used a strip of fabric and left the edges raw.

 Have fun playing!

 1 Shirt saved from the donation pile, 1 stylin' tot, & 1 happy momma!

Thanks so much Ellie!


Don't you LOVE this dress?  I think my little one needs about 4 of them and I have quite a few old t-shirts to choose from!  

I'm sure you have, but in case you haven't, be sure to check out Amy's blog.

I'm in love with these baby cowboy boots...

and these paint poppin pillows are really great too!

Go check it out, and while you're there, audition for American Crafter!  I'm getting to link up any day now.

Thanks again Amy!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet and simple dress that looks awesome! I need to try this for my daughters!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooo cute!! This dress style is very popular right now - thanks for showing how to make one! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-bloused-drop-waist-t-shirt-dress-for-little-girls/2011/04/22/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable! and to make it easier you can skip the casing at the waist and just sew two lines with elastic thread, same look less time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress. I am making my second one now for my little girl. This makes really cute play clothes. Thanks so much for the tute and idea!

    ReplyDelete